Edinburg Manor

The previous farm building was utilized until 1910, when it was dismantled and rebuilt by the modern Edinburgh Manor, which opened in 1911. The edifice is an outstanding 12,000-square-foot structure with two stories and a basement that serviced the elderly, crippled, and mentally ill.

Many occupants or "inmates" lived on the original poor farm, which is now the location of Edinburgh Manor. Some were dismissed after passing through, while others perished on the farm. The deceased were either released to family members or buried in a pauper cemetery on the land, however unconfirmed stories claim that some of the deceased were buried elsewhere on the estate. According to data produced by the committee on impoverished farms, the number of detainees changed from year to year. According to one such report from 1874, the 11 inmates at the time were "insane 1, nearly blind 1, fit (seizure) 1; rest of the balance old and decrepit." There are more than 200 known deaths.


Historically, a poor farm (or poorhouse) was a local government-run facility that provided assistance and housing to the poor and needy. The majority of impoverished farms were working farms, and inhabitants were required to offer labor in the fields, around the home, and in resident care as part of the room and board payment. In truth, the house housed persons who were deemed to be incurably crazy, those with various infirmities, and the elderly who had been abandoned by uncaring family members. After the Social Security Act became law in 1935, the dependence on poor farms to help the destitute was reduced, and most poor farms were gone by the 1950s.

Black Angel (Iowa City)

Oakland Cemetery is home to the legendary Black Angel, which is an eight and a half foot tall burial monument for the Feldevert family. Ever since it was erected over 85 years ago, the Black Angel has been the subject of many stories, myths, and legends surrounding its mysterious change in color from a golden bronze cast to an eerie black.

One-Room School House

Bed and Breakfast Northern Iowa

Iowa City Ghost Hunters was called to examine tales of paranormal activity at this Northern Iowa bed and breakfast. The land used to be a family farm where two little boys died.

Old Capital Museum

The only paranormal team that has ever been permitted to examine the Old Capitol is Iowa City Ghost Hunters. The Iowa Old Capitol Building may be found in Iowa City, Iowa, in the United States. It was previously the state of Iowa's major government building, and it currently serves as the most visible landmark in the heart of the University of Iowa's campus. 

Cascade Maid-Rite Restaurant 

Iowa City Ghost Hunters were called to examine tales of paranormal activity at this Maid-Rite Restaurant in Cascade Iowa.

Villisca Axe Murder House

In 1912, this house was the sight of a gruesome murder. The Moore Family including two friends were murdered in their sleep. The murder is stll unsolved to this day.

Farrar Elementary School

A historic Elementary School stands in a little town in Iowa.

Only a few buildings surround the former Farrar Elementary School, including a 150-year-old cemetery across the street. Farrar, an unincorporated town in Polk County, is about 30 minutes outside of Des Moines.

The school was built in 1921 and first opened its doors to pupils in 1922. It served children in the Farrar and Bondurant communities for 80 years before closing in 2001 when district authorities opted to combine and relocate pupils to Anderson Elementary in Bondurant.

Everyone who enters the school, believes they are not alone.

Squirrel Cage Jail

The Pottawattamie Jailhouse, also known as the "Squirrel Cage Jail," is located in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and is one of only three extant "rotary jails," all of which stand as instances of a brief fixation with confining offenders in revolving cells. 

The jail, built in 1885, was designed to limit connections between jailer and inmate by whirling the cells around. The main concept was that the cells were all positioned on a central carousel that, when a hand crank was turned, spun so that only one inmate's holding room could be entered at a time via the single doorway. While other rotational prisons built during this period had only one level of holding cells, the Council Bluffs jail featured three stacked levels. The combined effect of the towering cell construction gave it the appearance of a miniature animal cage.